Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Comfort Food...

Ever have one of those days that just called for a nice warm cozy meal? Sure you have...hasn't everyone? Those days where your taste buds are just yearning to experience something deliciously satisfying. Well, today was one of those days at my house. I had no clue as to what I should prepare for dinner. I proceeded to pull out some boring old chicken from the fridge, thinking...not again, and set it out to defrost. Think, think, think...okay, so I'll make a yummy pot of Chicken & Dumplings! Just the mere thought of those tender dumplings, swimming in an ocean of that gravy-like consistency made my mouth begin to water. I began the steps of preparation, (being my own sous chef and all), when suddenly I had an epiphany. What if I were to substitute my dumplings with potato pierogies? Hmmmm...Mmmmm...

There I was, at a crossroads between tradition and creativity. I had a small inc ling that the pierogies would be a good replacement, however was not completely convinced. So, I chose my road and cooked my way to a perfectly created bowl of heaven. I knew this, when the moment of truth came...my 10 year old daughter's face lit up as she began to savour that first coveted bite. My 6 six year old son actually began to describe how it all just seemed to just melt in his mouth. I followed accordingly, finding the taste to be far more delicious then I could have ever hoped for. Amazingly tender, creamy, and just out and out luscious. I shall go back to "Plain Jane", Chicken & Dumplings never more.

*For those of you feeling like you want a little change with a lot of richness, here is my recipe.
**********************************************************************************

Chicken & Pierogies

5 Boneless Chicken Breasts (cut up into bite sized pieces)
2 Cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 Celery Stalk (finely chopped)
1 tbsp Garlic powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 cups Chicken broth
1-2 cups Heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Olive oil
28 or so Pierogies (mini potato and cheddar)
1 can Cream of chicken soup
2 cans Water
2 tbsp Chives (dry or fresh)
Dash of Paprika


Directions:

First, saute the crushed garlic and celery with olive oil in pan, once tender, add chicken and lightly brown. Next, add butter, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Then, add chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and water. Bring to a boil, then, add Pierogies. Keep at a low boil for approx. 11-15 mins, or until Pierogies are tender and fully cooked. Lower temperature to a simmer, add cream, paprika and chives. Let simmer for another 10 minutes.

Voila! Serves 4 conservative eaters or 3 "healthy" eaters. ;^)

Disclaimer: Teenagers not considered when evaluating portion distribution. Results may vary depending on whether or not you actually follow the recipe. I do have to admit that I did not measure as I went, so the above measurements are "guestimates" and therefore should be treated as such.

Warning: consumption of this meal may cause a euphoric sense of satisfaction. Eat at your own risk! ;^)

3 comments:

Mercy said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. I was hoping to get it from you since everyone has raved about it. I love it when you feel adventurous. I'm blessed! Keep them coming!

Olguita said...

This is my first try at using this means of communication....
I think that once again you have proven to be a great cook! Not only is the recipe delicious but I also loved your introduction. It was sweet and touching.
I have named your entry "Food for thougt and...for your belly."

AngieC said...

As soon as you mentioned that you were going to make chicken & dumplings i wanted some. Not just because it tastes out of this world, but more importantly b/c the last time I ate it I was overcome with the the feeling of love and comfort. That meal, will forever be one of my favorites!!!
Thanks for making "plain jane" for David & me at a time when we needed all the comfort we could get our hands on. I felt every ounce of LOVE that you put into it. I can't wait to make this new version!