Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Friendship...

What is a "friend"?

Who do YOU call "friend"?

Is this a word you use loosely?
So many do...
Throughout your life, you meet an endless amount of people through all sorts of opportunities. Yet, how many of those people actually become true friends?

I can count my REAL friends on one, maybe two hands. Sure I know lots of people, but...that does not a friend make. People have a tendency towards selfishness and it is very difficult to find those that are truly loyal. Why is that?

Loyalty is #1 in my book...and of course loyalty goes hand in hand with trust. When you want or need to share something important with a friend but, that friend is repeatedly not there for you...that is a pain that only builds and over time becomes a scar. We all have someone that has continuously let us down. That person, that we give endless opportunities to. Yet they always manage to walk away. Letting us down, time and time again, leaving an emptiness behind.

Those are the takers...they take what they need from the friendship, and then dissappear.

To Take or To Reach

When the days seem empty and not a soul in sight
Your walk is unsteady, you have no more fight
Those that look on and just pass you by
Not concerned with the if's or the and's or the why's
Those are the emptiest of all

But remember...

A true friend won't run
A true friend is there
A true friend will soothe you in the midst of despair

So...

Which are you?

Are you the taker?
Or...

Are you the one reaching out?




2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful post. I'll just say that I'm one of those people that take the word Friend quite seriously, however, I have learned that humans are human and therefore we must prepare to love them no matter what. There are times to be the strong friend and there are times to need a strong friend. I think that true friends are the ones that you never have to be nervous with because you know they will always love you. I don't know which category I fall in on your list (giver/taker) I'm sure that I get moved from one column to the other, but please know that my love for you is true and enduring. Thanks for always being you.
Love, G2
P.S. Did you write the poem?

Mercy said...

This is really powerful... very deep... I still find myself reading it quite often. Thanks for sharing.